Thursday, December 24, 2009

Don't believe the rumors

I am not dead.
I have been stepping and fetching trying to tidy things up after the epic slaying of the thesis monster and the clean up from Barnyard CX.
I have been thinking about many things over the last few days but I stumbled across something in a shop yesterday that resuscitated a a dead project....penny stoves.
DG put me on to these (Instructions here) and I made 3 but never really found a good way to support a pot over top of the stove, then I found these windscreens that are designed to use with Trangia alcohol stoves and cost about 6 dollars at a local shop. they can be had online here

Note that my stoves are actually quarter stoves. New Heinie cans have numbers lightly embossed on the bottom, so a penny does not provide enough surface area to cover the base of the priming cup.
Boils a quart of water in about 4 and half minutes, and weighs less than a wet fart.


The hardest part of making these little things is drinking the Heineken.

2 comments:

Neve_r_est said...

A little bit of hand sanding smoothes the numbers right out, then you can save those 20 extra grams by going back to the pre-1970 real copper penny!

What'd you make the stand out of?

DG

Neve_r_est said...

There was a link, got it.

DG