Monday, August 1, 2011

Wausau Part 2: Rafal defiles my bike


Before the storm.
Photo Cred XTR Photography
So after the race restarts (at this point my 6 hour race is over) I assumed the roll of soigneur for Rafal and Wilbur as they finish their 12 hour endeavor. Rafal was on my SS for the 2nd half of the race, as he had some Superfly shifting problems before the rain started. Plus my bottom bracket and brakes were already cashed, so I might as well let Rafal finish them off.

When Rafal completed his restart lap, he was looking pretty gross. However he said that the SS was the ticket in these conditions.

Rafal keeps it PG
I am gonna take a moment to stand on the stump and preach for a minute. I like tires that roll fast just as much as the next guy, but I gave up in low profile tires last year. Not having aggressive treads is like not having a large bore firearm in Alaska. You never end up needing it, until you are already "in the thick of it". An Ardent up front, and a Ignitor in the back will keep you upright no matter what.

Rafal churns out another lap.
To be terribly honest, 12 and 24 hour events have never really had a huge appeal to me. No matter how awesome a ten mile piece of trail is, it still starts to suck after about 6 hours. The real appeal is the camaraderie and the awe of watching people do things that no normal person would ever consider doing. I also have to tip my hat to the wonderful "desperate bike wives" that support us at these events.
Good times

1 comment:

Single_Speeder said...

Is Rafal refilling that bottle?