Friday, June 18, 2010

What gets you paid

This week has just been draining. We have gotten so much field work done, and I am so thankful for that. However, we are still going to be pulling some huge hours as de-tasseling and tasseling note taking is going to start real soon. Which brings me to the subject of temporary labor.

The need for temp labor is a huge factor in our economy. Often in industries like Ag there is a need for large numbers of man hours in a relatively short period of time, so we rely of 3rd part staffing. The folks we get through our 3rd party staffing company are always a surprise. Some are totally worthless (and I do not make that statement lightly), some are just lazy, some are casing the joint so they can rob it later, some are really great workers that for some reason are not able to get or hold better jobs, some just need extra hours and some do not want full time jobs.

We are pretty lucky this go round. Its kind of like a bad joke.
  • A pregnant woman that is always feeling nauseous
  • a 6 foot, 5inch tall Canadian Blackfoot Indian that will describe, in detail, how to scalp people.
  • a Mexican immigrant that also works the night shift at a packing plant and is always asleep whenever he is not standing up
  • One young lady (that was previously a MMA fighter) that is perpetually late.
I can't say enough good things about this crew. There is never a dull moment.

As for me, I am starting to count the hours. I look at what I got paid in the public sector, and compare it to all the extra hours I have to work with this job.........I can see why so many people burn out. I have gotten five 65+ hour weeks in the last 2 months. At least I get to be outside when I log my long hours, and not having to sit in front of a computer screen.

It was kind of interesting. last week When I was In Minnetonka, for our new hire "on-boarding" I was really surprised how much I liked the corporate philosophy, and what the company offers to its employees at the Minnetonka Facilty that is LEED certified, has subsidized dining with a full time Dietitian/Chef, public transit, and a "come and go" schedule. But the real disconnect is that 90% of the employees work at locations with none of these amenities. I walked away thinking, "wow, what a great place to work......my location really sucks in comparison".
Oh well.
Its 4 am. I can't sleep.
In 2 more hours I "get" to start rating a herbicide study.
Races this weekend. If it does not rain anymore Crocodile Rock on Sunday, and Ponca on Saturday.

1 comment:

Noah Marcus said...

always good to know how to scalp people!