Sunday, February 15, 2009

Getting it done

I have had a very productive extended weekend, and have had a spectacular time. Friday I had to go down to south central Kansas to lay out fertility plots for Hollies fertilizer trials. So I took Brutus along for the ride. I really liked the old Nissan truck commercials from around, the sales line was

Dogs love Trucks.
So needless to say he is always game to travel. We were at two different locations bordered by CRP ground so he had plenty of room to run and chase vermin.

That evening we visited the high society crowd at Tom Park's abode for a wine and cheese soiree.
Then on Saturday I cleaned the house all day, while Al was off making my money. Mopped, vacuumed, washed dishes,, cleaned the bathroom, all in the name of love. What does love have to do with it?
Then Me and Brute drove up to Fancy Creek to ride and run (I ride, he runs). The Front half of Fancy creek was pretty swampy so we were both pretty gross. Then drove home, and we both had a grooming experience, so that my freshly cleaned abode would not be defiled.

Then this (Sunday) morning I got up and started making muffins, quiche, fruit salad. Then once those things were in order I grabbed Brute and out the door we went. Rode to the Panera Bread store to get bagels via the linear trail. Its about 8 miles round trip, and is a pretty good way to traverse the West side of Manhappenin. Its also a good area for the dingo to get his sniff on.
Then got back and finished the brunch prep. Brunch is a dying artform in my mind, and I am doing my best to keep it alive. We had everyone over after church, and had coffee and Mimossa's then tucked in.

Once everyone drifted off for the afternoon (to sleep), I grabbed the cross bike and hit the gravel. Decided to hit up Fort Riley and see how their gravel is. There is lots of it, but it very steep.

Once I got on to the base the gravel suddenly became very coarse and very large. I jarred my way for about 5 miles and saw a paved roadto the west so I cut over to it. There was a sign that said Danger: Tank Traffic so I had been on a tank road all that time. Not quite sure what the IMBA policy is on who yeilds first, cyclists or tanks?
Then I headed back east towards town, and I as I was comming into town I saw a chocolate lab off by himself on the side of the road. So I sidled up to him and had a look at his collar, and turns out that his name was Harley and he owned some people and their numbers were on his collar. So I pounded some digits and got them reunited. Harley looked like he had been on a "personal journey" for the last few hours. Then cruised back into town just as the shadows were falling on the prairie.

3 comments:

khswes said...

Hahha, "which yields first, tanks or cyclists?" That had me cracking up. Good stuff, sounds like you had an adventure.

YPJ said...

Sounds like a fun day. I too spent all of Saturday cleaning. Manchu defiled our down comforter later that night by throwing up on it. I hate that dog.

Joshua Stamper said...

We hate your dog too, and he is 1500 miles away. Nothing like a little dog yak to quash the mood on valentines day.